Sunday, August 14, 2011

Walker and Mav on a Different Timeline

I realized today that Mav and Walker are on two very different timelines, but that playing with Maverick is helping me to accelerate my learning in helping my partnership with Walker. Walker has become so much more left brained of late that the same strategies I am using in playing with Mav are helping me to play with Walker as he becomes a more centered horse. 

And the help is reciprocal. Because I learned so much in playing with Walker, it has really helped me be more progressive with Mav. Like yesterday in the park. I wasn't sure how Mav would do, just the two of us pretty far away from the barn, but he was very calm. It probably did not hurt that is was about 95 degrees out with hardly a breeze to stir Mav's mane. First, I threw the rope over his back then backed away a couple of steps. I waited about five minutes, and continued to be calm. Then I stepped back about 5 steps, still calm, never stopped grazing. Then we moved to another spot where it would be easier for me to sit, and I stepped about 10 paces away. He remained calm and grazing. 

So, we followed an amazing day online and freestyle riding with this grazing Liberty session, things that took me years to accomplish with Walker. As much as my horses are becoming transformed, I am becoming transformed right along with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment