Thursday, August 4, 2011

Maverick Maturing as a Horse-Man

Mav at the hose down area


Mav and I had a fabulous play session online and freestyle. First, online, I have been using one feather line to see if our communication is getting better, and it is. We played with a six cone weave, which we did very slowly at first, then at the trot, and he did it really well. We will start playing with doing it at longer distances soon. 

We also played with the circle game transitions, and when I am good at getting his attention, he does extremely well, even the canter, both left and right. Just lovely. I have been playing with lightly drawing Mav back into the circle when he veers off a bit. I really want to be as light as possible so he never gets dull. It would be so easy to make an LBI dull. 

Then we moved on to to freestyle. It has been so hot, I did not feel like putting a saddle on him, so we rode bareback. He had some good energy, so I was hopeful that would translate into our riding. We rode the rail doing transitions, walk, trot, walk, stop, back up and after one turn around the arena, he offered the canter going left, bareback and bridle less. I had one carrot stick and he was wearing a halter with the fluidity reins attached, but I never touched them. Fantastic! 

Then we did the same to the right, and he offered the canter again, picking up the right lead immediately. This is a big deal for Mav, as he has not felt good going that way at the canter, and this time, it was relaxed and rhythmic. It tells me his feet are feeling good. We stopped, I rubbed him and fed him cookies; he knew he had really earned them. 

Then we played with the weave, and when he softened all the way through the weave, we stopped and I fed him cookies again. Then we worked on our spin, doing it slowly now, but getting even right and left. He just gets softer and softer doing it, so we will be able to play with our speed pretty soon. What a fantastic session. 

I was sure he would want to roll in the arena dirt after I took the pad off, but he just hung out with me. I think he knew we had a little magic today, and he wanted to savor it with me. Then I took him to get a nice long hose down, and tucked him in for the night. He gave me his ears at attention until I turned the corner to leave the barn. As I got into my truck, I thought how amazing it is that a 52 year old woman could be playing with a four year old hunk of a horse like Maverick. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment