Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dressage Test

Walker and I along with Sarah and her horse Tessa traveled to Sienna Stables for a dressage schooling show. Walker did fabulously well. He was calm, relaxed and even though we had not practiced the second test, I decided there was no reason not to go in there, have fun and try it anyway. 

On our first test, Training Level 2, we scored a 58.9! Amazing progress for a horse everyone had given up on seven years ago. And with my weight loss and focusing on getting fitter, it helps that I have become a much better rider. We both have plenty of room for progress, but it is never a bad idea to stop and assess how far we have come and revel in it just a bit.

Randy was nice enough to film both tests so I could see where we both need to improve. I have to do a better job of getting Walker to frame up. I also need to ask him to be more precise in his movements. I have to get stronger in my core so I can be more relaxed and be better connected to him. 

We also have to play with getting a better free walk in the saddle. He is getting the idea on the ground, but it has not translated to the saddle yet. Same with the trot. We also need more speed at all the gaits. Once we have those pieces in place, we will get those 60 + scores and move on to the next level.
                                                            Warming up before the show

No comments:

Post a Comment