Monday, May 30, 2011

Horses, humans and truth

Creekside Bike Trail
As I was biking through Park City today, it occurred to me that perhaps the one reason above all others that I love playing with horses is that once you have their trust, they will give all of themselves to you. They will let you know, good or bad, how they feel about you. The key is, it's never personal with them. They act and react and it just is. They don't pull any punches, they don't tell any white lies, they don't embellish or sugar coat. However, they will forgive you so many things that it is impossible for me not to be in awe of their spirit and their willingness to be a partner when approached appropriately.

We humans can't operate that way. In order for our human society to function, simple things like white lies are a virtual necessity. Even our best friends and our most trusted relationships can't be entirely honest. People can't afford to be overly burdened with what other people honestly think of them at any given moment. Our wide and varied emotions would get in the way of every day living.

What’s difficult about that is it often leaves many important things unsaid, especially the good feelings we have for one another. Maybe some people feel embarrassed to express themselves, or perhaps they are afraid of feeling vulnerable to rejection. I think people are just as likely to miss the green lights people send out as they are to miss the green lights horses send out.

I think we miss those green lights for one of two reasons. We are not paying attention or we are afraid of what might happen after we take that next step, or both simultaneously. 

What does Pat say? I think it’s “Work on yourself, play with your horses.” Two important areas on which I need more work: I want to be less afraid of what might happen next, and I sure as hell want to be paying attention, really be in the moment. That applies to humans AND horses.






Beaver Dam

Over the next three days, as long as the weather stays nice, I am riding with Sueanne and her Paso Finos. I will be sure to post plenty of pictures. The mountains here in Park City are beautifully verdant thanks to all the rain and snow they have had this spring. And I love the chance to ride her horses, they are so well schooled and sure-footed on the mountain trails. 


The pix are from my bike ride today...it was really good exercise for my recovering hamstrings.
Creekside Bike Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment