Friday, June 3, 2011

Day one in Park City

Self portrait of an occasional biker
Snow falling early on my ride
Creekside Trail
This is my fourth year coming to Park City, Utah to ride with Sueanne Clark and her wonderful Paso Finos. This year, I am in the best shape I have been in a long time. I have lost about 18 pounds and at least a couple of dress sizes since December, and I have been working my core with Pilates for Dressage. I have never felt so fluid and connected in the saddle when I ride Walker and even Maverick despite the fact that he is green.

Ben and Randy headed out early for Wyoming for their two-day fly fishing excursion. The day in Park City was cold and wet, so horseback riding was not an option. Instead, I decided to bike ride all over the countryside, as there are lots of paved bike/jogging paths throughout the area.

The day started really snowy and cold. Thank goodness Tracy at our B&B (The Trace) had ski gloves for me to borrow, otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten very far. The woman who rented me the bike and helmet asked, “Would you like snowshoes with that? ;)”. Every time I took out my phone to video or take pix, my hands turned into pink popsicles.

Turns out, that bike ride was really great for my hamstrings, which are still on the mend from getting torn/strained about 6 weeks back. I may have to find someone to borrow a bike from when I get back to Houston to help my rehab along. A couple of rides a week for a few weeks would probably get them all the way back.

As I started out, it was snowing, and a fine layer was dusted all over the countryside. Because of the cold, I stopped at a Starbucks and got a hot chocolate about halfway through my ride. I have never had one, and maybe it was the cold, but it sure tasted good! It warmed me all the way to my toes.

With about an hour of riding left, the clouds had cleared and the sun came out. What an amazing change. I saw robins and bluebirds all over the place. All told, I was out for about 4 hours. I got a bite to eat, then went into a western wear shop along Main St. I have never seen such an eclectic and unique collection of cowboy boots anywhere. It was like eye candy for a cowgirl.

The hats hanging over the racks of boots caught my eye, and once I tried one on, I knew I had to have it. All I had to figure out was which hatband and which stampede string to get along with it. I’ll never have to worry about getting the Texas sun on my face or neck as long as I am wearing it. Plus, it fits my head like a glove. It will be the perfect memento of my week there.

Finally I decided to see a movie, Something Borrowed, cute chick flick.  The shower when I got back to The Trace felt really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment