Saturday, June 25, 2011

Liberty Trim Day

I had a wonderful day today, again, with my horses. First, Sarah and I rode across the street in the park, and Walker picked up his left lead really well today. Sarah and I talked about how we could improve his canter going to the left. Then we had to laugh at ourselves, because here was Walker finally getting his left leads again, and already we both wanted him to do more. Of course, I didn't, because we are both learning how to resist those urges. 
When Walker and I were done riding with Tessa and Sarah, I helped with a riding lesson, staying on Walker in the small indoor arena. This is good for Walker, because he has a hard time standing still, so doing so while someone else rides builds his emotional and mental durability.

Once we were done, I took the saddle off of Walker and let him roll. Walker doesn't seem to be bothered by getting hosed down, I think because it just feels good to cool off. Today was no exception. I dropped the savvy string I had tied to his halter and he just stood completely still while I walked over to get the hose and turn on the water. Then he just stood and took deep breaths while I passed the hose back and forth neck to dock, left side and right side.

Because Lei was at the barn hanging out with her horses, I was able to turn Walker out in the front area with her horses, and then I thought Bingo might be missing him in the back pasture. So, when I went to get Maverick, and brought Bingo along. Walker came with me, and when Bingo saw us, he let out a big whinny. So cute! Walker and Bingo are really bonded.

 
Bingo and Walker choose to be together, no matter where they are.

Then it was time to play with Maverick. The temperature was already in the low 90's, so I knew we would not do too much. I completely understand now that when my horse has low energy, I have to go with it. There are some things I can do to help bring his energy up, but if I ask too much, he'll just get unresponsive, then surly, then pissed. Fortunately, I can see the unresponsiveness and change my tack.
So, today, I had a plan to do exactly what we did yesterday, and it worked really well. So well in fact, that at one point, Mav offered a couple steps of canter! I went with it then transistioned him down to a stop, rubbed him, told him what a good horse he is and fed him cookies. Then we continued on with my plan. 

When we were done, I brought him into the small indoor arena to remove the saddle and let him roll. I went to sit on the mounting block to wait for him to roll, except he didn't roll. He just stood there looking at me from across the arena. I waited, relaxed. He stood with his ears at attention, watching me.  He finally moseyed over. He just wanted to hang out with me. I waited for about ten minutes, but he still didn't roll. First time that's ever happened. We just hung out. He licked my hand and nuzzled my visor. 
Now it was time for hoof trimming, and in true Parelli style, Walker, Mav and Bingo needed no one to hold them while Eddie Drabek trimmed their feet. Everyone of them stood still while he went about his work. 
Not only that, once Walker and Maverick were done and I brought Bingo into the loafing shed, neither Walker or Maverick wanted to leave. They just hung out with me while waiting for Eddie to finish. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment