Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Liberty with Maverick

Walker ran a fever after getting his vaccinations yesterday, so my plan to ride him was shelved for a couple of days until he feels better. He had a fever of 104 degrees, I got it down to 103 with a good 20 minute hose down, and then gave him some bute to help get it under control overnight. Thankfully, he had a normal temp today, so he should be good to go again tomorrow, thank goodness.

So, after tending to Walker, I did not have a lot of energy to play, and I thought a brief liberty session with Maverick would be just perfect. And it was.

Maverick seemed to have a lot of energy, so the first thing I did was send him on some circles in the small indoor arena. He flew around a few times, then when he softened a bit, I asked him in. He came at me with his chest out and his ears in a very aerodynamic position, so I asked him to stop until he gave me semaphore ears, which he did very quickly. I never had to ask for happy ears again, he gave them to me the rest of the evening. Wendy and I have both been playing diligently with this, and it has really paid off. 

What a fast learner he is. I sent him out again, bringing him back in sooner this time, and he gave me happy ears every time after that! Smart boy! He did two more really nice trotting circles then tried to come in behind me. I should have let him, my bad, as the circles he gave me after that were not as good looking. He knew when he had performed well, and I did not recognize it. I’ll not to do that again. I have to reward him for giving me that kind of effort.

We followed that with the driving game forehand around the hindquarters from zones 1 and 3. He gave me two or three really nice steps in each direction. Next, we did the porcupine game backwards from the tail and he gave me three dead straight steps from both sides, WOW! He has really figured that one out fast.

We finished up with squeezing between me and the fence, go out on the circle, disengage the hindquarters then into the sideways, and he gave me three beautiful sideways steps in both directions. He has really figured that one out fast too, we have only played with it for about 5 days. Of course, I had to quit on that note! Fed him cookies, told him what a smart, obedient horse he is, rubbed his belly and then lead him at Liberty into his stall for the night. What a fabulous session. I love my two horses!
Both photos of Maverick are from a month ago, when our grass here was still green. The Mississippi is flooding and we are in a major drought. Now our grass is more the color of desert fatigues.

No comments:

Post a Comment