Monday, May 16, 2011

If Only All Horses Could Get the Start Mav Got

Maverick on a Beautiful May Day
With Walker, our relationship started green on green, but more than that, green crazily unconfident (Walker) on green lacking in experience with crazily unconfident horses (me). Now with Maverick although he is green there is no baggage. He likes people. In fact, he often appears to prefer the company of humans to horses, and he is very alpha around most horses.

He is sure his humans have no intention to harm him in any way. He did not start out seeing his humans as his alphas, but the longer we play with him, the more he sees us that way. Without having to worry about what our intentions are (do they think of me as dinner? NO WAY!), he is free to understand we really are doing things for him, not to him. He is free to feel as though we are always playing together, not realizing that he is learning something along the way.

In other words, what I have accomplished with Walker is nothing less than astonishing given where we BOTH started. With Maverick it is nothing less than astonishing how fast we are learning together. And, Maverick is giving me the green light to be brave in ways I could never be with Walker.

Some people say it is brave and a little crazy to jump out of an airplane (done that). But the truth is, it takes much more bravery to trust another creature to take care of you when in fact they could choose to harm you.

Maverick has given me many green lights, letting me know he was ready to move on to something more challenging or thought provoking. It is up to me to be perceptive enough to continue to see those green lights and brave enough to follow through when he gives them to me.

I love my horses! And I love all the people I am surrounded with who support the passion I have for horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment