Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is it possible to get misty-eyed when your horse urinates in your presence?

The answer of course is, yes, since that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. After being cooped up all day in his stall as the turnouts were still really sloppy, we went out in front of the barn for some relaxed grazing. Because of all the rain, the grass was nice and tall, so Walker got right down to business. I read a book while he grazed. At first, with the cars whizzing by, he was a little nervous, but he settled down nicely once he got focused on the grass.  For the first time in 5 1/2 years, Walker felt comfortable enough with me to pee out in the open right in front of me. He very politely walked a little way from me, which got my attention since he had hardly moved at all while grazing. Then he did the four point spread and peed for a good 40 seconds or so. Wow! Before, if I came up to the stall while he was peeing, he would immediately stop as if I had invaded his privacy or startled him enough to want to flee. And unlike people, this may be Walker's way of telling me the honeymoon has finally started.

This has been a week of firsts, in so many ways! Maybe Walker asked someone when my birthday is and decided he would give me a week's worth of gifts. Either way, what fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment