Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Circling "Lunging" and pedestal at Liberty

Last Sunday night was pretty special . . . with Liz and Sandra at the barn watching, Walker circled me at liberty walking, trotting (both gaits he had done before circling at liberty). But on Sunday night, he cantered as well. Amazing considering where we started 5 years ago . . . when he could not go in a circle on line without losing his mind and galloping madly until I would disengage his hind quarters. This is the horse who ran over my friend, Nancy, ass over tea kettle in an eventual successful attempt to get him in a horse trailer. I still remember being terrified that my "crazy' horse had trampled Nancy in a fit of terror at the prospect of entering that cave on wheels. 

To add to my amazement, when I asked him to put his two front feet on my pedestal, with only a bit of hemming, he obliged. Again, at liberty! What an accomplishment for the two of us. This was followed by feeding him lots of cookies and smiles and some good stretching to finish the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment