Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Transformations continue

One of the things I love about playing with my horses is you never know what surprises they may have in store for you. 

Today, I got to the barn and was welcomed by gorgeous clear blue skies and a light cool breeze. After chatting with Wendy who had an interesting day with Mav and a fun liberty session with Bingo, I got Walker and tacked him up. He seemed his usual cheeky, cheerful self, so I thought we would probably do some more cantering yo-yo game again today. We started along the rail, and he was completely blowing off my leg, so I decided I would pick up my carrot stick so I could more effectively up my phases. 

That is when Walker deliberately jammed me into the arena fence! My right brained extrovert had turned completely left brained! I laughed out loud, and now that I have had a chance to think about it, next play time, I am going to let him do what he wants to do before I ask him to do what I want to do.

That lesson was reinforced for me when Wendy let me play with Bingo, her left brained, introvert/extrovert, handsome Paint, at liberty on Sunday. He was much more willing to play a good stick to me game when at first I allowed him to go where he wanted to go. When I felt him soften, I knew I could ask for more. Thanks again, Wendy, for allowing me to play with your horse.

Can't wait to apply that to Walker next time. Today, we also did lots and lots of cantering. Walker is having trouble picking up his left lead again, so we did that until he was able to do it three times in a row, which took awhile. Once we had it, I played the yo-yo game at the canter, and wow, does that bring up the life in my horse. He really seemed to enjoy it. I know I did. 

At the end, I did a walking passenger lesson to allow him to cool off, and he walked around that arena like he owned it, a long, relaxed but energetic walk with his ears focused where he was going. Wherever he was going, it seemed as though it was with real purpose. Not once in our play session did he spook at anything, and there were lots of horses and riders in the arena when we first started, so he could easily have been distracted. He chose not to be. 

My horse is becoming a real partner and a joy to be with. It's been a long, steep, rocky journey, and we still have plenty to accomplish together, but with a partner next to and under me, the mountain doesn't look so tall anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment