Monday, November 2, 2009

Vet trip

We got some good news on Friday. We took Walker to Katy Equine Clinic where he was examined by Dr. Josh Zacharias. They were very nice there and took good care of Walker. Walker did very well in a new environment, I was very proud of him, he gave the vet tech and the doctor no trouble at all. 
Of course, the day started with some drama when I got to the barn to find one of my trailer tires had literally fallen apart. Shame on me for not checking it out more regularly, I won't do that again. Thankfully, Wendy was near by and willing to lend me her trailer, so we were able to make the trip. I was anxious to rule out a major injury. Randy helped keep me calm, as he usually does when I get a bit too emotional about unexpected, adverse events.

And we got, at least for now, good news. The vet tech trotted Walker around and he already looked much better while moving than he had all week. Still favoring his right hind, no doubt, but not nearly as much. Dr. Zacharias then put Walker through a lameness exam, stretching each area of his leg to see which was sore. Again, the stifle stretch showed that area to be sore.
Once that was done, Walker was taken back to the stocks, and he resisted only slightly then walked right in. He stood quietly while Dr. Zacharias gave him a mild sedative to take the x-rays, which showed no bony problems and no reduction in joint spaces. So, for now, Walker is on stall rest to see how he will do without any other treatment. Dr. Zacharias said to see how he does over the next 10-14 days, and if all looks good, we can start a light work schedule. I feel badly that he has to be cooped up in his stall all that time, but it can't be helped. At least for now, he seems to be on the mend.
On Saturday, Ben changed the bad tire on my trailer. Thanks, Ben! In retrospect, I am really happy the tire did not fall apart while we were on the road! I think that is a blessing pure and simple. 
We are finally having beautiful weather here in the Houston area. After all the rain we've had, the Brazos River is straining its banks. The levy near the barn is as high as I have ever seen it. The turnouts are so sloppy, it will be another day or two before all of the horses go out, so at least Walker will have his buddies with him during the day until it dries up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment