Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Riding for Tomorrow

It's late, but I wanted to get down a quick note about my time with Walker and Mav. Walker picked up my hat from the arena floor for the first time today, and luckily, Wendy got it on tape! It is so much fun to have my RBE picking things up with his teeth. Of course, that is his LBE coming out!

Then I played with Maverick. Freestyle! We started out slowly, but with our turns tonight while doing bow-ties, I used what Kerri taught Wendy, to use the carrot sticks just in front of the drive line, and that worked really well for Mav. His turns were really nice tonight. In fact, he felt so good, I asked for a canter, and he was a bit reluctant at first, I think because the fluidity saddle feels strange to him, but within about 5 minutes, he was offering me a left canter and we did three canter trot transitions. I have to say, his canter is so big (and he did give me a bit of a buck at first) that my ribs where they attach to my mid back are sore tonight! I was so happy with what he offered though. Then we did some circles to start help him bend his ribs to set up the right lead canter for another day.

But I will remember tonight with Mav because he offered so much. And when we finished cantering the last time, he really got into a flow for about half the arena. I transitioned him down just before he was going to slow down himself, and it felt like real harmony for the first time. Sweet! 

Playing and Riding for tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment