Monday, January 17, 2011

New Member of my horse family

Shame on me for not writing about this sooner, but I have a new horse I have gone in on with Wendy. His name is Maverick (registered name: Allergic Reaction), a big gorgeous quarter horse hunk. I really rode him for the first time this last week, and he is as green as grass, but I am not any more, so that is OK. We have started to ride along the rail and ride some circles, walk, trot.  On the ground, he can already do all seven games quite well, we can pick his feet at liberty from both sides (something he really did not want to do at all when we first got him), so we are already playing with Level 2 tasks. He is a left brain extrovert with lots of energy at the ready. Bay with bits of flaxen in his tail and mane. I am in love with him already. When we stop playing so he can think a little, he will lick my hand over and over again. When he gives me a little nip with his teeth, I know it is time to get his feet moving again! He is smart and tries really hard to please. He had a problem with a pretty bad hoof abscess first week we got him, but that is healing. Eddie Drabek is coming to see him tomorrow to start him on a natural trim regimen. For that matter, I want Eddie to evaluate Walker about pulling his shoes off so he can be barefoot again like when I first got him. Walker has been getting better and better under saddle, really bringing a lot of effort. Love that! More later . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment