Friday, March 12, 2010

Evening on the levy

After being cooped up in his stall all day on Wednesday, I took Walker out on the levy to graze. I am sure the women at the barn who saw me walk into the dark and across the bridge thought I was crazy, but since the athletic lights were turned on the soccer fields, I knew Walker and I would see well enough to enjoy our evening "out". After just 15 minutes of grazing, a few deer emerged from the brush and trees that line the Brazos to join us along the levy for a drink of water and to enjoy the fresh glistening green spring grass. Walker was very curious about the deer, but quickly returned to feasting on the grass after giving them an intense scrutiny. I assume since I did not seem the least bit concerned, he felt he did not have to be either. Since I had my ever present fanny pack filled with horse cookies, he checked in with me every few minutes to get a cookie and make sure everything was OK. He never strayed more than a few yards from me. The air was cool and there was a light breeze blowing in from the coast. A soft mist began to gather as the soccer players were practicing, and shouts rose up from the baseball fields on the other side of the road. While controversy and conflict was going on all over the world, our own little corner of the world seemed very far away from all of that.
We moseyed back to the barn after about an hour on the levy. By the time we got back from the levy, there was no one in the two indoor arenas, so we had the large arena to ourselves. I am using the 45' line now as much as possible, and it is a new challenge for me. But that is all part of my own personal journey of never ending self improvement. We played with sideways on the circle game and the bullseye pattern, both of which looked a little better than the night before. I tucked Walker back into his stall when we were done, gave him some hay from my trailer and a bucket of molasses water. After giving him a few more cookies I told him goodnight. When I hit the road, the mist had gotten very thick, creating a halo around all the traffic and street lights. It made for a quiet, pretty drive home . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment