Monday, April 11, 2011

A trip to Kerri April’s place

My favorite pit stop, Lee County Feed Store. It was really windy, OK?


Cookies?

For the first time since I have been coming to Kerri’s place, I had mixed feelings about leaving. When Walker and I were at Sienna Stables, I could not wait to leave. I looked forward to going somewhere where my horse did not feel like a prisoner.

At Huntington Stables, my horse has such a good life; I feel less of a need to get away. And tomorrow night is Rachel’s going away party at the barn, and I feel badly about missing it.

However, Walker and I really needed time to ourselves. My horse time is now joyfully split between Walker and Maverick, but Walker and I still have lots of learning to do. It is important for me to follow through with him, and two days together is a perfect way for me to focus on him. He deserves my full attention from time to time.

And, I need to further my horsemanship education. For me, there just is no better place or person to get that than from Trails End and Kerri. This feels like such a safe place for me to learn. Kerri has a wonderfully creative yet organized approach to learning.

Pat talks about how we should help our horses feel smart. Kerri creates an environment where the humans are set up to feel smart as well. Growing up, I never knew how good was good enough. With Kerri, I never worry about that. She allows us all to find our own place where we judge what is good enough.

I will always want to achieve at the highest level that is possible for me, but there is no longer any judgment behind it. I do not measure myself solely by my achievements anymore. How I can be of service to others weighs my scales far more heavily than ever now. Too bad it took me so long to understand where my priorities needed to be. That isn’t to say I don’t have plenty of room for improvement there as well, but at least I am finally moving in the right direction.

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have found the perfect place for you and your horse to grow and have fun!
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete